Should You Be Giving Your Dog CBD Treats?
When it comes to treating health issues, people around the world have just started to understand the value of CBD and its many claimed benefits. The ever-expanding cannabis market has introduced an array of products that have been proven beneficial for health disorders.
But did you know just like humans, pets also experience certain ailments? As a pet owner, it must be really heart-wrenching when you see your furry friend in pain and discomfort.
Luckily the CBD industry today has come up with various pet products, details of which are mentioned in the blog below.
What Is CBD?
CBD popularly known as Cannabidiol is a naturally occurring compound found in the hemp plant. There are close to 400 different compounds that exist in the plant but CBD alone possesses many health benefits, hence it is used widely.
Although there are many processes that allow one to ingest CBD, popular methods include oils, vapes, gummies, and creams. When it comes to the pet population CBD is basically offered in the form of chews, treats, and softgels.
Is CBD Psychoactive?
Before going further, it is very essential to know that CBD is not psychoactive. As CBD is derived from the hemp plant it usually contains negligible effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) that causes people to experience the high feeling.
Since THC is considered to be toxic for both humans and animals, the CBD products available in the market contain no traces of the compound.
What is a CBD Dog Treat?
There are many dog treats that are available in the market which are loved by our four-legged friends. But do they actually have any positive effects on pets? Probably not. This is one of the major reasons why people are being selective when it comes to dog treats.
When choosing the dog treats it is advisable to settle for edibles that have CBD oil infused in them. Today the CBD dog treats are everywhere in the market and Fab CBD makes the best ones, you can visit here to check the Fab CBD review.
These edible treats have great flavor, attractive shape with health benefits which sets them apart from other ordinary treats in the market right now.
Potency and CBD Dosage For Dogs
When it comes to administering CBD dosages for the dogs, the general rule of the thumb suggests giving 1 mg to 6 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight.
If you are administering doses for anxiety and health prevention, lower doses will be accurate. However, if your four-legged friend is dealing with immune issues it is advisable to settle for higher doses.
In other words, it is better to start off with lower doses and gradually work your way up. Also, if you find that a lower dose is not working correctly for your dog, do consult a vet to determine the further course.
What are the benefits Associated With The CBD Dog Treats?
One of the main reasons for giving CBD treats to your pet is because it is a healthy way of unlocking the potential benefits of the compound. Another good thing about the biscuits is that they come in various shapes and sizes. This helps the owner to administer the dose carefully according to the persisting ailment in the dog.
Other benefits of these CBD edibles are as follows:
- CBD treats act as a painkiller: Every dog when it grows older is susceptible to chronic pain, mostly associated with arthritis. Also, sometimes the dog gets an injury which is the reason behind the acute pain in the body. CBD treats can help in blocking the pain receptors which results in ending the chronic pain in your furry friend.
- CBD treats can cure homeostasis: CBD is one of the best ways of keeping your pooch healthy. The CBD treats help in keeping a dog happy and healthy, even if they are in perfect shape.
- CBD treats have anti-inflammatory properties: It is not necessary that inflammation shall only come in the form of arthritis. It can also occur in various parts of the body like the gastrointestinal tract, skin, or any other parts. The CBD is blessed with anti-inflammatory properties that can help your dog by easing out the pain.
- CBD helps in treating Epilepsy: It is a busted fact that epilepsy affects 1 out of every 130 dogs. The condition can also lead to seizures which are very disheartening for the health of your four-legged friend. CBD treats help you out in this case as they have proven successful in curing seizures for dogs brought upon by epilepsy or other genetic disorders.
- CBD treats can cure cancer pain: CBD treats have proven beneficial in mitigating symptoms of cancer such as loss of appetite, nausea, or chronic pain.
- CBD helps in releasing anxiety: Anxiety is not only limited to humans, but it affects the pet world also. Most of the time dogs suffer from anxiety which is very harmful to their overall health. CBD treats work wonder for many high-strung pets by relieving them from anxiety and other noise phobias.
- CBD treats help in curing aggressive behavior: Aggressive behavior is very common with dogs, but it makes it really tough to deal with them. CBD treats can help minimize stress disorders hence calming the dog.
- Solving Tummy Issue: Sometimes it is seen that your dog is a very picky eater or has a delicate stomach. In either of these cases, digestive problems are the main root cause. CBD helps in curing the loss of appetite and hence improves the overall digestive system in the canines.
Some of the key points to remember while purchasing CBD for your pet
- Whenever you buy CBD treats for your pet, make sure that the product actually contains Cannabidiol. There are many brands in the market that can easily mislead by labeling the products as “hemp-infused” and “hemp-based”. Another thing to watch out is that the brand has an appropriate level of cannabidiol in its product.
Without the exact amount of CBD content, the product will not shower any health benefit or result in psychological change. It is also advisable to check for the independent lab test reports before purchasing the product.
- Another key consideration is the dosage of the product. Although CBD products have no trace of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the improper dosage can cause lethargy or drowsiness. In some other cases, irregular CBD doses can lead to nausea and vomiting.
The general rule of the thumb suggests that it is better to start from a lower dose like 1 mg to 6 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. The goal is to let your pup enjoy the benefits of the product so it is better to start off on a lower dose and then gradually increase it after you see improvement.
Also, do not forget to take the advice of a veterinarian, who specializes in CBD products for pets.
In a nutshell: Should you give CBD to Dogs?
While the benefits of CBD for humans have already been proven through various researches and studies, there is also preliminary evidence that shows its positive effects on the pet community as well.
Many owners have seen a dramatic change in the behavior and health of their furry friends after giving them appropriate doses of CBD treats.
Overall one can safely conclude that CBD treats are safe for the health of the dogs and it is highly advisable to give them a try.