How Long After Eating Grapes Will a Dog Get Sick?

Grapes and raisins can be toxic for dogs in any quantity, with early symptoms including vomiting and appetite changes quickly progressing into kidney failure.

“Hospitalization should be seen as the gold standard of care, as emesis can help bind toxins more easily with activated charcoal; additionally, baseline kidney values need to be assessed,” according to Fox.


Reactions of dogs who eat grapes or raisins may vary widely depending on their size, the quantity they consumed and overall health status. While eating one or two grapes might cause no problems at all, grape toxicity could have serious adverse consequences and should never be ignored.

If your pet experiences any of the following symptoms of grape toxicity, take them immediately to a veterinarian, even if you’re uncertain how many grapes they’ve consumed; even one or two grapes could trigger an immediate and serious reaction, potentially leading to kidney failure in older or more fragile dogs.

Grape toxicity symptoms in dogs often include vomiting, reduced appetite and lethargy; often within six hours after ingestion of grapes or raisins. 12-24 hours later more serious symptoms often emerge, including decreased urination; as the poisoning progresses kidneys will ultimately stop working and your dog won’t produce any urine at all.

Foaming at the mouth can also be an indicator of grape poisoning in dogs, and is caused when their saliva production increases to try and clear away any poisonous particles in their system. Unfortunately, this makes breathing difficult and could even lead to hypoventilation if left untreated – potentially leading to hypoventilation, unconsciousness or death for your pet.

Long believed to contain mycotoxin or salicylate, more recent research indicates tartaric acid as the likely culprit – found in high concentration in sultanas, raisins and currants – as being responsible. Furthermore, Leicester notes there have been anecdotal reports of dogs being poisoned with tamarind fruit with similar outcomes which further supports tartaric acid’s role as the cause.

Due to lack of an accurate diagnostic test for grape or raisin toxicity in pets, diagnosis must be made through consumption history and symptoms that appear over time. A veterinarian or animal poison control center are usually best equipped to make such diagnoses.

To protect the safety of your dog, do not feed him raisins, sultanas, currants or grapes and ensure these foods remain out of reach of children and other animals in your household. If fresh grapes or raisins must remain, place them in an locked pantry where children cannot get to them easily; also do not leave plates of raisin cake or cookies where your pup can easily grab them; keep wholesome apple slices on hand in the home and consider switching over to Wholesome Pride dehydrated apples without seeds if necessary – they might make for healthier living conditions!


If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, bring him or her immediately to a veterinarian for treatment. A vet will induce vomiting as soon as possible in order to expel any foreign bodies from your pup’s stomach, administer activated charcoal as necessary and give intravenous fluids in order to maintain adequate hydration levels and support kidney function while monitoring kidney functions regularly in order to make sure treatment is successful.

Treatment plans depend on many variables, including how many grapes your dog consumed, what else they may have consumed (including other fruits or vegetables), their size and breed, length of time since ingestion, current health status and any previous medical problems they have had. Decontamination should always be the primary goal, including inducing vomiting or administering an emetic solution like hydrogen peroxide via syringe or turkey baster to aid recovery.

Activated charcoal binds with tartaric acid to help prevent further absorption, thus decreasing kidney damage. Your vet may prescribe medications for your dog to control nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea as well as low blood pressure/shock prevention and may order urinalysis or blood work tests to assess kidney function and assess any damage that has already been done to their organs. They will monitor their condition carefully, while ordering tests such as urinalysis/blood work to assess kidney health and determine how much damage has already been done to their organs.

At first, your dog may become extremely thirsty and begin urinating frequently. They might also lose their appetite and begin vomiting frequently. Gradually, their urine production drops off to zero (called anuria or oliguria ), leading to severe dehydration and potentially damaging kidneys further.

Once toxins enter a person’s bloodstream, they can quickly cause kidney failure within 24 hours and develop into life-threatening hypotension (low blood pressure) and shock states that can quickly lead to coma or even death if left untreated.

As affected dogs will need to remain hospitalized on intravenous fluids for several days and may require urinary catheter monitoring, blood work should be repeated 1-2 days post-release to make sure kidney function improves instead of worsening.

To prevent potential danger, it is wise to store both fresh and dried grapes/raisins out of reach of your dog. This may mean keeping them in the back of the refrigerator or cabinet. Labelling their storage jars to alert everyone in your family that these foods should not be given to your pet will help ensure there are no accidental ingestions and to remind everyone how essential it is that these foods remain off limits to him/her.


Grapes can be extremely harmful to dogs and even eating just one can lead to serious illness. Even after just eating one grape, dogs can experience vomiting, diarrhea and kidney failure – symptoms which should be immediately reported to a veterinarian after ingestion. To protect their wellbeing and avoid these health complications in future.

Grape toxicity remains poorly understood, and why certain dogs are affected more than others is unknown. It was once thought that grape toxins caused stomach irritation that resulted in vomiting and diarrhea; now though, tartaric acid found in grape skins might have more widespread repercussions by irritating kidneys directly.

Signs of grape toxicity include loss of appetite, weakness and lethargy. Other symptoms may include diarrhea, abdominal pain and loss of urination. Left untreated, these symptoms could quickly worsen leading to kidney failure in some instances.

If your dog has eaten any amount of grapes, contact animal poison control or bring them directly to an emergency vet immediately. They may induce vomiting or clean out your dog’s stomach if necessary and use activated charcoal to bind toxins, blocking absorption and minimizing damage. They will also perform urinalysis and blood work tests to assess kidney function as well as damage; in an extreme case fluid therapy may also be initiated immediately.

Dogs that become severely ill after eating grapes must be hospitalized immediately for treatment. IV fluids will need to be administered while appropriate medications will be given for their gastrointestinal and kidney issues. Furthermore, their progress must be closely monitored during their recovery process.

Grape toxicity symptoms in dogs may be difficult to recognize in the immediate hours following ingestion, particularly the first 24 hours post ingestion. A lack of appetite and lethargic feeling are typically seen first, followed by diarrhea. Excessive thirstiness could also indicate kidneys attempting to flush out toxins while compensating for damaged renal tissues.

To protect your dog from becoming sick from eating grapes, the most effective strategy is keeping them out of reach, preferably stored away in higher cabinets with child locks or secured with higher cabinets. Also ensure all foods, including grapes and raisins, remain out of sight and out of your pet’s reach as much as possible; keeping table scraps out of reach will help your pup remain healthy and safe. Finally, after calling animal poison control, schedule an emergency vet appointment so that toxins are cleared from his/her system so long-term health complications do not arise from eating grapes/grapes/etc.

Lisa Thompson

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply:

DominoQQ Situs judi online agencuan agen taruhan slot online yang memiliki fiture judi online paling cangih dan juga paling gacor online24jam judi bola