What does an ACL brace do?
Dogs are probably the most active pets on the planet. Quite often they face injury during their hyped-up activity, however, if the injury is severe, it may require a brace. Accidents can lead to musculoskeletal injuries.
Various injuries occur in the joints of the knee, from which most common are: Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL), Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), and Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) injuries. If the injury is severe enough, a sports knee brace might be prescribed by the vet for treatment.
What is an ACL or Anterior Cruciate Ligament?
Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL, also known as CCL tear, when referring to pets, is a ligament present in the hind limbs. These ligaments are the most prone to injury.
How does a dog injure their ACL?
- The most common cause of tearing the cruciate ligament is the excessive internal movement of the tibia when the joint is partially flexed.
- This may be the product of trauma from running and planting the hind limbs as the body’s momentum continues forward.
Besides surgery, an ACL brace is the best solution to comfort your dog. Such an ACL brace for dogs can be ordered online.
Why is an ACL brace for dogs essential?
Painful motions called “cranial drawer” are caused due to the ACL tear. In this situation, ACL brace for dogs is important and useful in a number of ways.
- The brace stabilizes the joint that has been affected
- It helps reduce pain and inflammation
- Helps in a smooth movement, unimpeded by pain.
- If your pet dog is not quite yet for surgery, bracing might be the most viable option for him.
- The brace helps keep the joint aligned properly while healing, preventing re-injury.
Pros and cons of ACL brace for dogs
- Prevent re-injury
- Helps to maintain better alignment of the knee
- Provides relief to the knee joint
- Your pet will experience less pain during recovery
- Reduces swelling during the early recovery period
- The dog may have fewer wound leaks in that period
- Can restrict normal movement of the knee which can lead to muscular atrophy if used for a long time.
- It may be uncomfortable to your pet.
- It is likely to cause more often slipping or falling, particularly if it is not properly fitted.
Besides some cons, ACL braces for dogs can be essential for relaxation and overall health.